Following the devastating Currowan Bushfire, the Australian Government has made available a range of financial assistance to help with clean up and recovery.
The Disaster Recovery Payment is available for people who have been adversely affected by the fire. If you're eligible, you will get $1000 per adult and $400 per child under 16 years of age.
Eligibility for the payment includes if:
- you have been seriously injured
- you are the immediate family members of an Australian citizen or resident who died
- your principle place of residence has been destroyed or must be demolished
- the interior of your principal place of residence has sustained major damage
- damage from the fire has exposed the interior of your principal place of residence to the elements
- your principle place of residence has been declared structurally unsound
- the interior of your residence has been affected by sewerage contamination
- you're the principal carer of a dependent child who has experienced any of the above.
To be eligible, you must be an Australian resident or hold an eligible visa.
The fastest way to claim is by calling 180 22 66. Further information on eligibility is available on Centrelink's website.
For information on personal hardship and distress assistance, contact the Disaster Welfare Assistance Line on 1800 018 444.