Eligibility: You must be nominated by a local federal Member of Parliament; have an ABN, and be an not-for-profit incorporated entity.
Purpose: Community-led projects that address local on-ground environmental priorities.
Amount: $2,500 to $20,000
Due date: 9 September 2019
Further information: www.business.gov.au/cep
The program seeks to support community groups—including those that may not be able to compete in larger and more competitive grant programs—to address local environmental priorities. The program also seeks to encourage the community to connect with their local natural environment and to build and strengthen local communities.
Each federal electorate will receive up to $150,000 in grant funding to support up to 20 community-led projects that address local environmental priorities. Projects are to align with the objectives, expected outcomes and eligibility requirements of the program. Grants can range from $2,500 to $20,000 per project and the majority of funding must be directed to on-ground activities within the electorate of the nominating Member of Parliament. Cash and/or in-kind co-contributions are encouraged.
Eligible activities are defined in the program’s grant guidelines which are the basis for assessing eligibility. The following activities are provided as a guide to the types of projects that may be suitable for a grant under the program:
- monitoring local flora, fauna, water quality or marine debris
- supporting the recovery of threatened species and/or threatened ecological communities
- seed collection, propagation and planting of trees and understorey to control erosion and/or rehabilitate degraded natural habitats, riverbanks, wetlands and/or coasts
- improving or increasing the extent of suitable habitat, vegetation linkages and available food sources for native animals, including in urban areas
- reducing the impact of invasive weeds, pest animals, diseases and erosion on threatened species and natural habitats
- installing infrastructure (such as boardwalks) or fencing to manage access to sensitive natural habitats
- reducing the impact of waste and litter on natural habitats (e.g. litter clean-up events, marine debris collection or litter management infrastructure)
- workshops to increase community skills in monitoring, conserving, and/or protecting threatened species, ecological communities or other important environmental assets.
Please refer to the program’s guidelines for full details of eligible activities.
Nominated organisations who are invited to submit an application for a grant will be provided a link to an online application form. Invited applicants can submit their applications from 12 August 2019 up to the closing date and time, but are encouraged to submit their applications as soon as they are able. Please refer to www.business.gov.au/cep for the current closing date and time.
Before accepting a nomination by a federal Member of Parliament or submitting an application for a grant, eligible organisations should familiarise themselves with the program’s supporting documentation to ensure they are fully aware of the program and reporting requirements.
The Communities Environment Program is being delivered by the AusIndustry Business Grants Hub on behalf of the Department of the Environment and Energy.
For enquiries, please contact the Grants Hub by:
- calling 13 28 46, or
- visiting www.business.gov.au/contact-us to web chat or complete an online enquiry form.
For further information, visit www.business.gov.au/cep.